Community Center History
• Community Center History
The original Pier Avenue School (see postcard), built in 1911, was destroyed almost to its’ foundation by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The school was completely rebuilt as a 1934 WPA project and became the Pier Avenue Junior High.
Samuel Lunden, Hermosa resident, was the principal architect – his other projects included the Pacific Stock Exchange, Doheny Memorial Library at USC and several schools throughout the South Bay.
While the school was beginning to close, the original 1976 version of Carrie was filmed at the Community Center, utilizing the girls shower and upstairs gym.
The City of Hermosa Beach acquired the facility from the school district in 1975; in 1979 it became the Community Center, and now hosts various art, theatre, film, sports and recreation activities. Major renovations were completed in 1984 with emphasis on the auditorium. In 2002, grant funding from the Getty Foundation, helped research and maintain the historic Art Deco architecture.
The HBHS is fortunate to be able to house our expanding 3500 square foot museum within this historical building. Our galleries reside in what was previously wood shop, and the girls shower.